Altar Server's Response Awry

Started by RobertJS, August 16, 2014, 09:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 24, 2014, 12:26:56 AM
But nothing can replace professional instruction. Perhaps your son can ask to join the church's chant schola, if there is one.

Thanks for all the good information. 

There is a small schola but it is all adult men.  My son's voice has not changed yet so he would be the only soprano.  Wouldn't that be a problem?  I had been planning to suggest he join the schola when his voice changes.

My son does read music and play the piano.  He used to be in a choir some years ago.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Chestertonian on August 24, 2014, 12:44:33 AM
ive known some wonderful priests who couldn't carry a t use

No doubt there are, have been, and will always be great priests who can't read Latin, were born out of wedlock, or are missing their right hands. All the above excluded men from priesthood at some point or another in the history of the Church. I've heard the Society of Saint Pius X still doesn't ordain bastards. Unlike with singing or reading Latin, being born illegitimate is something a man has absolutely no power to correct whatsoever.

Chestertonian

Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 24, 2014, 02:42:26 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on August 24, 2014, 12:44:33 AM

No doubt there are, have been, and will always be great priests who can't read Latin, were born out of wedlock, or are missing their right hands. All the above excluded men from priesthood at some point or another in the history of the Church. I've heard the Society of Saint Pius X still doesn't ordain bastards. Unlike with singing or reading Latin, being born illegitimate is something a man has absolutely no power to correct whatsoever.

I think that's sad. People can overcome difficult circumstances, and are often stronger for it. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Jayne on August 24, 2014, 06:17:44 AM
There is a small schola but it is all adult men.  My son's voice has not changed yet so he would be the only soprano.  Wouldn't that be a problem?  I had been planning to suggest he join the schola when his voice changes.

My son does read music and play the piano.  He used to be in a choir some years ago.

That may be a problem if he's the only boy there. I wish I could simply propose that your schola create an auxiliary group for boys, but people keep telling me that boys don't want to sing. I don't know why, other than that perhaps it's now seen as a feminine activity. This is a highly anti-traditional mentality, but I can't do much about it.

Consider this sobering thought, though: the Masses and many other Latin choral works composed by William Byrd were never originally sung in the great cathedrals of England, but in private chapels and homes during the days of recusancy in Elizabeth's reign. Imagine, the Byrd Ave Verum Corpus in its first days was sung only by the boys and men of congregations no larger than the tiniest sedevacantist chapels, under conditions far more severe than any of us on this forum have ever seen.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFZZMF7SRRo[/yt]

And we complain that we don't have the resources to sing such music in our churches today!

Kaesekopf

+1 HK.  +1 for sure. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Chestertonian

when i was young i always did choir but they had so much trouble getting boys to stay.  I was always one of a handful
many i think lose confidence when the voice stars to change
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Rose

Quote from: Chestertonian link=topic=don't thi.msg179372#msg179372 date=1408862673

I don't know if that's the case about the SSPX at all...someone I knew was illegitimate and was going to the seminary?
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

VeraeFidei

Quote from: Rose on August 26, 2014, 03:22:50 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian link=topic=don't thi.msg179372#msg179372 date=1408862673

I don't know if that's the case about the SSPX at all...someone I knew was illegitimate and was going to the seminary?
Well - they pick and choose as they deem fit. Fact is, the 1917 Code prohibits the ordination of bastards, though it does allow for dispensations. I do not know whether that could happen with a local Bishop, or whether it had to go higher, whether Metropolitan Archbishop or to Rome.