History of Vigil of Pentecost

Started by Jayne, May 25, 2020, 09:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

I was looking for information on the vigil of Pentecost since that is coming up this Saturday. I found this article which was full of things that I had never heard of before, like this day used to be associated with baptisms.  It was a sort of mini- Easter Vigil.

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2018/05/the-suppression-of-ancient-baptismal.html

Along with the history there is some criticism of the way this has been changed in the Novus Ordo.  They make a good case that it messed up, but what else is new?

Article also contains an informative quote from Dom Gueranger:

QuoteFormerly, this Vigil was kept like that of Easter. The faithful repaired to the church in the evening, that they might assist at the solemn administration of Baptism. During the night, the Sacrament of regeneration was conferred upon such catechumens as sickness or absence from home had prevented from receiving it on Easter night. Those, also, who had then been thought insufficiently tried or instructed, and had, during the interval, satisfied the conditions required by the Church, now formed part of the group of aspirants to the new birth of the sacred font. Instead of the twelve prophecies, which were read on Easter night while the priests were performing over the catechumens the rites preparatory to Baptism, six only were now read; at least, such was the usual custom, and it would lead us to suppose that the number of those baptized at Pentecost was less than at Easter. [7]
The Paschal Candle was again brought forward during this night of grace, in order to impress the newly baptized with respect and love for the Son of God, who became Man that He might be the light of the world. The rites already described and explained for Holy Saturday were repeated on this occasion, and the Sacrifice of the Mass, at which the neophytes assisted, began before the break of day. [8]
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Sempronius

Jayne

As I mentioned elsewhere, I am planning to fast on the Vigil of Pentecost.  In my reading on fasting, I found a teaching that fasting from food should be accompanied by fasting from quarrels.  In my case, I think that staying off forums while I fast will cut down my risk of quarrels by about 90%, so I am thinking to make that my regular practice when fasting.

When I resume posting on Pentecost, I am going to celebrate the Octave of Pentecost by starting a thread for each day, one for each of the different gifts of the Holy Ghost.  (This is similar to the structure of the Novena leading up to Pentecost.  As they say, "Steal from the best.")

These are  Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Fortitude, Knowledge, Piety, and Fear of the Lord. People can post their own thoughts, writings from Saints, links to homilies, etc. I'm saying this now so people can start thinking about it in advance.

Special bonus feature:  link to Baltimore Catechism page on the Holy Ghost: http://www.baltimore-catechism.com/lesson9.htm
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.