Teaching Position - Padre Pio Academy, Ridgefield [filled]

Started by Daniel, January 01, 2017, 06:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moneil

To follow up on the last two posts (#12 and #13):

Cheese Steak I'll potentially concede to Philly (but it is a rather generic mix of ingredients and about anybody could grill that up);  "Cheeseheads" is defiantly Wisconsin, and the nation's "Dairy State" does indeed produce some fine cheese, but Washington State University's Cougar Cold Cheese, from a proprietary culture developed by Dr. N. S. Golding in the 1940's, is undoubtedly the finest sharp white cheddar available anywhere in the world (to disclose a bias, at 6:30 AM in the morrow I'll have driven over snow blown roads in near zero temperatures to care for the cows who produce the milk this cheese is made from, just for the FYI); I'm not an authority on Asian cuisine but whether Chinese in its various manifestations, Thai, Cambodian, Korean, or Vietnamese, I have no doubt that the my home town (where I was born), the Pacific port of Seattle, offers the finest examples of these cuisines to be found on the North American continent.  I'll also say the same for Pacific seafood!

As for authentic Latin / Mexican cuisine, in my experience one needs to "move off the coast and into the pueblo" to the small towns in eastern WA and the central valley of CA, look for the native Taco Trucks and the "hole in the wall" restaurants ... THAT is where one will find authentic cuisine, and oh so delicious!  Though I've never traveled into the deep south I am told that the same experience is true for authentic southern barbecue.

Daniel

Quote from: moneil on January 02, 2017, 10:12:18 PM
(but it is a rather generic mix of ingredients and about anybody could grill that up)
A few points on that:
1. I grew up in the Philadelphia area, but strangely enough I don't believe I have ever eaten a Philly cheesesteak. (I have, however, eaten many non-Philly cheesesteaks... made with cheeses other than typical Cheez Whiz you'd find on the Philly cheesesteak...)
2. This may seem to defy common sense, but apparently people out in Kansas do not "grill that up". The local restaurant here in Kansas has one item called a "Philly cheesesteak". But the name is deceptive; the thing they give you bears pretty much no resemblance to a real Philly cheesesteak. I later went to a Barnes & Noble cafe out here and happened to see the "Philly cheesesteak" on their menu. So I ordered it. It was pretty good, but not a Philly cheesesteak. (Now I haven't gone on a quest to find an authentic Philly cheesesteak or anything, but my thoughts at this point is that they simply don't exist out here...)

Daniel

Heinrich

Quote from: Daniel on January 02, 2017, 10:50:33 PM
Quote from: moneil on January 02, 2017, 10:12:18 PM
(but it is a rather generic mix of ingredients and about anybody could grill that up)
A few points on that:
1. I grew up in the Philadelphia area, but strangely enough I don't believe I have ever eaten a Philly cheesesteak. (I have, however, eaten many non-Philly cheesesteaks... made with cheeses other than typical Cheez Whiz you'd find on the Philly cheesesteak...)
2. This may seem to defy common sense, but apparently people out in Kansas do not "grill that up". The local restaurant here in Kansas has one item called a "Philly cheesesteak". But the name is deceptive; the thing they give you bears pretty much no resemblance to a real Philly cheesesteak. I later went to a Barnes & Noble cafe out here and happened to see the "Philly cheesesteak" on their menu. So I ordered it. It was pretty good, but not a Philly cheesesteak. (Now I haven't gone on a quest to find an authentic Philly cheesesteak or anything, but my thoughts at this point is that they simply don't exist out here...)

That is what I am saying: it is just not the same outside of the cultured region. Even Mexican food in Colorado is different than the Mexican food in AZ due to elevation and beefs harvesting.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Stella Maris

Mexican food also varies across Mexico, and different groups of immigrants have brought different culinary traditions with them to different parts of the U.S. Also, where you have a larger population of recent immigrants, you are going to find Mexican food closer to its origins than in areas where restaurants have adapted to more American tastes.

Kaesekopf

Gonna lock this bad boy because it's been filled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.