What are you working on?

Started by Bernadette, April 12, 2020, 12:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Upon further consideration I put off the Aran sweater, and am making a blanket for my bed instead. I'm knitting it entirely in seed stitch, and it's looking great so far. This yarn really shows the stitches well. It should be done in a few months if I work on it every day.
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on April 20, 2020, 06:20:21 AM
Quote from: Lynne on April 20, 2020, 05:46:11 AM
Quote from: clau clau on April 20, 2020, 04:32:57 AM
I'm designing a webserver for processing online transactions.  Yes, I am still at work.

Me too, thank God. Both my husband and I are in IT and so we are able to do our jobs from home.

Yeah, the quarantine hasn't affected my job, either.  I'm considered an "essential business", so I'm still able to go in to work everyday, as well  ;D

Yes you are!

(and by the way, I saw something on FB about making *potato* yeast. I'll post it here in a bit)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Lynne

I spent a part of yesterday organizing my fabric stash, cutting a lot of it into strips for all sorts of scrappy quilts. I really have too much fabric, it's overwhelming. I'm done with the mask-making, I only made them for family and friends. I'm going to turn my attention back to quilts.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Gardener

If there's any brew stores near you all, and you need yeast, you can use champagne yeast (I recommend premier cuvee by Red Star); beer yeast can tend to make the bread "beery", while champagne yeast does not.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

Quote from: Gardener on April 20, 2020, 08:13:30 AM
If there's any brew stores near you all, and you need yeast, you can use champagne yeast (I recommend premier cuvee by Red Star); beer yeast can tend to make the bread "beery", while champagne yeast does not.

I got a pound(!) of instant yeast from King Arthur Flour so I'm all set, just looking to be creative...

And one can make a sourdough starter just by using the "wild yeast" that's floating around in the air.

Making bread is so interesting.

(but champagne yeast has been added to the list of things to try)

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on April 12, 2020, 01:41:45 PM
That sounds like fun.  Mostly been crocheting dishcloths... easy and kinda mindless which I need.

When I was a young woman, I had a friend/mentor named HoneyLou. She was so sweet and lived in this lovely whitewashed farmhouse outside of town. She always had a big stack of crocheted dishcloths by her kitchen sink. She used them all the time and they were great. I have never made any, but now I kind of want to. It would be nice. What yarn do you find is best/hold up well/has a nice scrubby quality?

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: Bernadette on April 20, 2020, 07:53:01 AM
Upon further consideration I put off the Aran sweater, and am making a blanket for my bed instead. I'm knitting it entirely in seed stitch, and it's looking great so far. This yarn really shows the stitches well. It should be done in a few months if I work on it every day.

I did a blanket completely out of seed stitch about three years ago. I decided it would be easier to do it in the round, so I knit the whole thing as a giant tube and then stitch and slashed it fair-isle style, it worked a charm.

Lynne

Quote from: coffeeandcigarette on April 20, 2020, 01:49:56 PM
That sounds like fun.  Mostly been crocheting dishcloths... easy and kinda mindless which I need.

When I was a young woman, I had a friend/mentor named HoneyLou. She was so sweet and lived in this lovely whitewashed farmhouse outside of town. She always had a big stack of crocheted dishcloths by her kitchen sink. She used them all the time and they were great. I have never made any, but now I kind of want to. It would be nice. What yarn do you find is best/hold up well/has a nice scrubby quality?

I have knitted dishcloths. Cotton yarn is very popular for them and they hold up very well. There's tons of free patterns out there.

queen.saints

Quote from: coffeeandcigarette on April 20, 2020, 01:53:16 PM

I did a blanket completely out of seed stitch about three years ago. I decided it would be easier to do it in the round, so I knit the whole thing as a giant tube and then stitch and slashed it fair-isle style, it worked a charm.

Oh my gosh, you must have incredible patience!
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: queen.saints on April 21, 2020, 03:02:35 AM
Quote from: coffeeandcigarette on April 20, 2020, 01:53:16 PM

Oh my gosh, you must have incredible patience!

Well, I am a quilter, knitter, crafter, and I make a lot of my children's clothing. Patience in crafting does develop after a while. Luckily for me, I used to not be patient with my projects at all.

Stu Cool

Making raised garden beds.  Have wanted to do it for a while but we were working on other projects.  Finally got our fence replaced around the backyard.  We made 4 8x4 beds.  Waiting for some food grade waterproofer for the inside before we set them into the ground.  Used the stimulus money to fund it all.

Padraig

I've been baking more bread. I make a yeast starter the night before with equal weights of water and flour, and a sprinkle of yeast on top. This was my most recent loaf, a honey oat multigrain bread with rye and flaxseed.

Fleur-de-Lys

I was recently inspired to study Mandarin.  :D

So far it's going well. Even the characters aren't proving as difficult as I had always feared.

Maximilian

Quote from: Padraig on April 21, 2020, 02:59:01 PM

This was my most recent loaf, a honey oat multigrain bread with rye and flaxseed.

Looks like a photo-shoot. It looks too perfect to be real.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Lynne on April 20, 2020, 02:38:33 PM
Quote from: coffeeandcigarette on April 20, 2020, 01:49:56 PM

I have knitted dishcloths. Cotton yarn is very popular for them and they hold up very well. There's tons of free patterns out there.

Yeah... I use cotton yarn for them.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace