False Miraculous Medals?

Started by Clare, March 06, 2015, 07:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clare

Has anyone heard about false Miraculous Medals doing the rounds? 

The stars are arranged differently, and the M is different too.

There's this French page about them on Gloria TV. My French is very basic, so I could only work out some of it. But one bit I understood was "the star... symbolises the morning star, which is a symbol of Lucifer". Well, it's also a name for Our Lady in the Litany of Loreto!

Is the design satanic, or is it just false and not a "valid" medal? Or does it not really matter?
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Daniel

I hope not, because the Miraculous Medal that I wear has the stars in that position and the backwards "M".

That part about the morning star is most likely nonsense.  I fail to see how changing the positioning of the stars somehow changes the central one into the "morning star".  And even if it somehow did become the morning star, that doesn't mean it's a symbol of Lucifer.  The morning star could symbolize Lucifer, or it could symbolize Christ (Apocalypse 22:16) or Our Lady (as you pointed out).

Frater

One priest gave me a very tiny miraculous medal once. The stars are all right, but the hearts are like those of the false medal, though not quite. I believe this is due to poor quality of manufacturing, not malicious satanists.

But given the rise of satanism (remember the recent hideous case of hosts being stolen in Ars) I would be careful with religious articles.

Sicut cervus desiderat ad fontes aquarum, ita desiderat anima mea ad te Deus.

"Journalism is the art of translating abysmal ignorance into execrable prose", David B. Hart

Clare

Is it important that the design of medals (and anything else like that) doesn't depart from the original, or they won't work?

Or is that superstitious?

And, if it is important and isn't superstitious, how should I explain to an enquirer why it isn't? I've often wondered about how to explain that Catholic practices which might look superstitious really aren't.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Kaesekopf

I think the story goes that Mary gave the design for the medal, so I'm not sure why one would want to deviate from it.

That said, just don't buy cheap medals.  That's probably a way around this.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Daniel

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 06, 2015, 01:18:45 PM
I think the story goes that Mary gave the design for the medal, so I'm not sure why one would want to deviate from it.

That said, just don't buy cheap medals.  That's probably a way around this.
Yes, but the design was given through a vision.  The design on the medal is an artist's re-creation of the design, not an exact copy of it.  Something like the placement of the stars probably isn't too important unless Our Lady specified how the stars were to be placed (which I don't think is the case).

verenaerin

Actually, she designed the medal, as KK said. Before the medals were created they decided to change somethings to make if "clearer" for the wearers. Our Lady reappeared and told them not to, and to design it the way she requested. So I think it's important.

Archer

Remember a while back we had a topic about how few Crucifixes (I think predominantly the ones on plastic Rosaries) had Jesus' head inclined to the left? If I recall correctly, similar to the OP the claim was that these Rosaries were Satanic. I talked to a very good SSPX Priest about it over Christmas and he wasn't phased. The gist of what he said was that if you're really concerned than you could get rid of them. He had never heard the claim before but he doubts the validity and said that we definitely have bigger things to worry about.

Do what you must so you can sleep at night, but I think things like this become a kind of boogeyman for trads.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

LausTibiChriste

I bought a Miraculous Medal the other day and it doesn't even have a back, so I guess that's even worse eh?
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

OSB Melitensis

Let's not verge on superstition although it's true that Satanism is on the rise and subtlety is a useful tool for evil minds.
"In ancient times, our forefathers sowed the seeds of the wheat of faith in that field which is the Church. It would be quite unjust and improper if we, their descendents, gathered, instead of the genuine truth of wheat, the false tares of error. On the contrary, it is logically correct that the beginning and the end be in agreement, that we reap from the planting of the wheat of doctrine the harvest of the wheat of dogma. In this way, none of the Characteristics of the seed is changed, although something evolved in the course of time from those first seeds and has now expanded under careful cultivation. What may be added is merely appearance, beauty, and distinction, but the proper nature of each kind remains."  St. Vincent of Lerins

Prayerful

I guess there's a certain number of blundered medals, but a lot still is made is Italy, so they should be right.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Daniel

It could just be that they're cheap and poorly made.  Some of my medals have misspellings on them, e.g. the miraculous medal centerpiece on my rosary says "tee" instead of "thee" and the medal on my St. Michael chaplet spells "Michael" as "Micheal".  I don't really understand how something like that could happen, but it does happen.

Elizabeth

It does matter that the sacramentals are not cheap imitations, or mistaken.

Archer

Quote from: Elizabeth on May 07, 2015, 05:55:06 PM
It does matter that the sacramentals are not cheap imitations, or mistaken.

No arguments there. But cheap does not equal satanic. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Prayerful

What's worse than cheap is finding a good beads is disfigured by Pope VI's demonic vaguely Jansenist looking (tho NO is the opposite of Jansenism) bent (like Pope Paul VI) cross.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.