My computer blew up

Started by peanut, September 10, 2013, 09:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habitual_Ritual

I have had a dell vostro laptop for about 6/7 years. It gets slow after a while but I simply reformat and it's good as new, almost, again. I use heavy 3D graphics programs on it also with no real issues.

So try a reformat if you have or can get your OS disk.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: peanut on September 11, 2013, 03:39:04 AM
I'm thinking more likely some sort of power supply issue - it seems almost like it's trying to go to sleep because it's lost power or something. 

Power supply cables can get knackered especially if it has one of those converter boxes. A new one is a lot cheaper than a whole computer.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

peanut

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on September 11, 2013, 04:18:44 AM
Power supply cables can get knackered especially if it has one of those converter boxes. A new one is a lot cheaper than a whole computer.

If it were only the power cable, it should just switch to battery instead of making the whole computer go blank, surely?
Latest article: Corporate assessment centres - deranged products of mercantile delusion: http://bit.ly/16Nq0Tf

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: peanut on September 11, 2013, 04:20:46 AM
Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on September 11, 2013, 04:18:44 AM

If it were only the power cable, it should just switch to battery instead of making the whole computer go blank, surely?

If the battery is old (more than 2 years) it may not hold a charge anymore.

peanut

It does hold a charge though, so I don't think it's that.
Latest article: Corporate assessment centres - deranged products of mercantile delusion: http://bit.ly/16Nq0Tf

Bonaventure

Quote from: peanut on September 11, 2013, 03:39:04 AM
QuoteLOL. But it's peanut. Everyone is out to get him.

Actually it's not the illuminati I'm worried about as they've probably got everything anyway.  But imagine if I had photos of myself sitting in my underpants watching Star Trek saved on my hard disk.  I'm fairly sure I don't, but when you don't have access to the disk it's easy to forget how much personal stuff is on there.  With 4chan still in operation, I'm not willing to take the risk.

4chan only messes with losers and online bullies. As far as I know, you're neither. In addition, I doubt there is much demand on the market for peanut-in-draws pictures.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

peanut

Wait, what?   :o

I didn't even do anything and now it appears to be working fine with no issues whatsoever.  That's cool - I wish my car fixed itself if I just left it alone.  Maybe it could fill itself up with petrol and squeegee its own windows too.

Oh well, it might blow up again in a couple of days but for the moment, problem solved!  :D

Kaesekopf

I want a computer that blows up but then is fixed a day later.

:P
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Cesar_Augustus

I use Dell desktops and an Acer laptop I have since 2008. Maybe you could buy an Acer next time.

Lynne

Quote from: peanut on September 10, 2013, 05:30:27 PM
Anyone got a Sony Vaio?  I've heard they're supposed to be pretty reliable.

I'm had my Sony Vaio for almost 3 years now... I'm quite please with it.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"