Twitter

Started by poche, May 08, 2013, 02:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poche

LouisIX

Poche, I absolutely loathe those who write things like "lemme google that for you" or "look it up", but wouldn't it expend less energy to look up "blog" or "twitter" online rather than posting here and waiting for responses?  I don't necessarily have a problem with you asking these questions, but it seems inefficient for you.

Certainly you must be somewhat familiar with these terms already.  You have a pretty extensive online presence.  You must have run into a blog before.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

StCeciliasGirl

1. go there. www.twitter.com

2. make an account (people usually have many) with a throwaway email (go to gmail, log out, and make a new email you'll never use again like "axmurderer8492@gmail.com"). You can change how your username appears, but your Twitter handle will be your username forever, so @poche would be good, and if it's already in use, @poche1989 or whatever that you can tell people when they ask to follow you.

2. follow people. Nothing will show up on your timeline if you don't. You search Twitter, find some posts or people you like, go to their page, and hit "follow".

There are some basic accounts you should follow, like https://twitter.com/Pontifex (the pope), and maybe https://twitter.com/NCRegister (do a search; you'd be amazed what's out there. If it has a blue check mark by the name, they've been verified and yes, you're really following the Pope, or NC Register, etc).

Huge advantage of Twitter: insta-news. Sign up for your local news (they're there, don't worry); it's the same posts that's on FB. BUT what you'll catch on Twitter is people tagging that news station (so you'll see it on your timeline) and tweeting REAL news, like, "Hey @WNBC there's a huge accident blocking this highway; people DEAD; avoid traffic jams!" And you'll hear about amateur meteorologists who "got it right" — find those guys (they're usually linked by the angry viewers whose houses are splinters because that puff of wind forecast was a hurrican) and FOLLOW THEM. They're decent meteorologists, usually smart kids or retired meteorologists, and can warn you of real bad weather that the network guys can't say (because they can't "alarm" anyone). Yes, sometimes the amateurs are wrong, but they've saved my butt more than once, too! And they'll tweet back to you, as well; they the "Twitter Famous" for your area because people trust them.

3. You should also click a trending topic to see what's up with the world (bottom left of your timeline). These are usually hilarious, like right now, Vladimir Putin is trending because he's ON THE MARKET (unfortunately because he's divorcing, but I'd like to think it's because his wife can't stand his new-found religion so now some hot property running a superpower is on the market!) You see funny posts, and YOU come up with a funny idea, so you hit the big blue button on the top right that hover-says, "Compose a New Tweet". Window pops up: you post your Putin joke with or without a hashtag #.

Quote from: example Vladimir joke tweet
Vladimir Putin's single again! I'd say 'lock up your daughters', but he can probably do that himself.

And there's your first tweet! (You used to have to put a hashtag, but Twitter search got better; people still #UseHashtagsToBeTrendy (no spaces in hashtags ever, btw) and they can be funny, but never use more than one hashtag in your post you're Twitter Creepy.

It may get favorited or retweeted; someone may respond like, "Hey @Poche that weren't funny manz". You can "reply" by hitting reply and continue a conversation, or just ignore it, block the poster; it doesn't matter.

I don't tweet often, but I have it on my phone and use it for news, accident reports, pictures, weather, sales, local church news, etc.

You'd probably love it. Try it out.
+ J M J +

poche

Does it cost moneyto join twitter?

Lyubov

??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

Bonaventure

You need to send me $29.99, poche.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

poche

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney