Spanish Question

Started by bben15, December 22, 2013, 08:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bben15

In the sentence, "Disfrute de su navidad," why is the "de" in there? It doesn't seem to make sense.

Also, since it is a command, why isn't a "tú" included after "disfrute?"

God bless you for answering my question.  :pray2:

Ancilla Domini

The de is simply idiomatic, as prepositions generally are in every language.  :)

As for not being present, for one thing, the command is in the usted form (su Navidad), not the form. But more to the point, subject pronouns are never used with commands. You may be thinking of reflexive pronouns, but this verb is not reflexive. In any case, no pronoun should be used in this construction.

Hope that helps! 

bben15

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on December 22, 2013, 09:20:09 PM
The de is simply idiomatic, as prepositions generally are in every language.  :)

As for not being present, for one thing, the command is in the usted form (su Navidad), not the form. But more to the point, subject pronouns are never used with commands. You may be thinking of reflexive pronouns, but this verb is not reflexive. In any case, no pronoun should be used in this construction.

Hope that helps!

Thank you! That helped a lot!  :)

Bonaventure

I was gonna answer, but the professor already did.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 23, 2013, 02:58:55 PM

I was waiting for a native (or heritage) speaker to come show me up.  :tongue:

Bonaventure

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on December 23, 2013, 11:39:08 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on December 23, 2013, 02:58:55 PM

I was waiting for a native (or heritage) speaker to come show me up.  :tongue:

I can take hints.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Cesar_Augustus

I think Disfrute de su Navidad is a strange construction.

Disfruta la Navidad. (form)

And

Disfrute la Navidad. (Usted form)

Sounds more natural.

Ancilla Domini

I've seen it both ways and actually heard native speakers argue just as strongly that it sounds strange without the de! Is this something that varies from region to region, Cesar Augustus?

Cesar_Augustus

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on December 24, 2013, 11:23:22 AM
I've seen it both ways and actually heard native speakers argue just as strongly that it sounds strange without the de! Is this something that varies from region to region, Cesar Augustus?

Yes, I think it varies from region to region.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Cesar_Augustus on December 24, 2013, 11:29:37 AM
Quote from: Ancilla Domini on December 24, 2013, 11:23:22 AM

Yes, I think it varies from region to region.

Ah, thanks, Cesar Augusto! That's something I had been wondering about.  :)