Priest told Lutheran to take Communion

Started by Vanna Grace, September 23, 2014, 01:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanna Grace

My BiL is Lutheran. He has been married to my SiL for 20 years. He attends Mass (NO) every Sunday with his wife and children but has never shown any interest in joining the Church. In fact, has stated often that he doesn't want to and will not ever.

Last week, after Mass, the priest told him to start taking communion next Sunday...said he (my BiL) "was more Catholic than most people" so he might as well. All my family thought this seemed great...except me and my husband. I said, "but he isn't Catholic...he doesn't want to be...he has never gone to confession....." Everyone looked at me like I was being ridiculous and said, "the PRIEST said it was ok." As if I was speaking against God by arguing against the priest.

Am I being ridiculous by being offended by all of this? I find it incredibly disturbing...all of it.

Yankee

A family friend was married to a divorced man. She was Catholic and knew this was no good. So she continued to go to Mass but refrained from Communion. For years she did this. Finally a new priest noticed this and pulled her aside to ask her why. When she told he she was married outside the Church to a divorced man the priest told her that he had better see her in line for Communion next week. Like your situation, only I was shocked and appalled.  :madsmiley:
"What bad taste You have, Lord, to love me, hideous as I am; but do not, on any account, change that bad taste, lest I be exposed to the danger of Your putting an angel in my place." -St Teresa

Pheo

No, you're not being ridiculous.  That priest, instead of acting like a faithful shepherd, is no better than a wolf.  He's telling him to commit an objective sacrilege.

"Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord."

We know what it means to be unworthy.  We should be able to trust what priests say, but that attitude has done more harm than good since VatII.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

spasiisochrani

Even after all these years, I'm still shocked when I hear about things like this.

LausTibiChriste

Far be it from me to judge that Priest's soul, but you do have to wonder if he truly understands what the Eucharist is. If he did, I highly doubt he'd be acting like that. Such is the situation of the Conciliar Church.

By their fruits you shall know them
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Michael Wilson

The doctrine of the Mistical Body of Christ has been totally deformed by the Second Vatican Council and the post conciliar magisterium. The borders of the Church were expanded to include all the Baptized, and ultimately to include all men: "Whether they know it or not, or desire it, or not" (J.P. II Sign of Contradiction).
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Maximilian

Quote from: Michael Wilson on September 23, 2014, 03:53:02 PM

The doctrine of the Mistical Body of Christ has been totally deformed by the Second Vatican Council and the post conciliar magisterium. The borders of the Church were expanded to include all the Baptized, and ultimately to include all men:

That happened before Vatican II.

Michael Wilson

Max,
by whom, and how?
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Melanie_T

My mum is a devout Lutheran and when she was visiting a Catholic relative, she went with her to a mass and received communion because she could! I could not believe it, I was shocked out of my cotton sox!

Immacolata

Quote from: Vanna Grace on September 23, 2014, 01:53:04 PMAm I being ridiculous by being offended by all of this? I find it incredibly disturbing...all of it.

I wanted to write this before I write any more. In reference to the bolded part: absolutely not. I am as disturbed as you are. He is not Catholic (therefore, not in a state of grace), and is not eligible to receive Holy Communion?the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ. By receiving Holy Communion, he committed sacrilege (which, as Pheo pointed out, was encouraged by the priest).

Now I will continue...

Quote from: Vanna Grace on September 23, 2014, 01:53:04 PMMy BiL is Lutheran. He has been married to my SiL for 20 years. He attends Mass (NO) every Sunday with his wife and children but has never shown any interest in joining the Church. In fact, has stated often that he doesn't want to and will not ever.   Last week, after Mass, the priest told him to start taking communion next Sunday...said he (my BiL) "was more Catholic than most people" so he might as well. All my family thought this seemed great...except me and my husband. I said, "but he isn't Catholic...he doesn't want to be...he has never gone to confession....." Everyone looked at me like I was being ridiculous and said, "the PRIEST said it was ok." As if I was speaking against God by arguing against the priest.

I know how you must have felt. Admittedly, I am one of very few practicing Catholics in my family (I mean this not as detraction, but to give context), and I am often the only one who speaks up against sacrileges like the one you spoke up against. For example:

My niece is currently attending CCD in preparation for her First Holy Communion (which will occur some time in late spring 2015, although, frankly, I feel she should be held back for her own sake?she may not realize the significance of the sacrament). A few Sundays ago, we were sitting in the living room ("we" being myself, my niece, her mother?my sister, and my brother). She asked (paraphrasing), "Is it real that I'm going to be eating [a] body and drinking blood?" I said (again, paraphrasing?I can't exactly remember what I said), "Yes, you will be receiving the real Body and Blood of Christ" at around the same time my sister (her mother) said, "It's just a symbol." I replied, "No, it is not a symbol. It is the true Body and Blood of Christ." My brother responded, "Yeah, and it tastes just like bread and grape juice." Thereafter, the conversation trailed off (after I clarified that it is not "grape juice," but rather wine that is consecrated into the Precious Blood of Christ), and it was settled. Sadly, most of my family does not believe in (or, perhaps, even know of) the Real Presence, although all (to my knowledge) have received their First Holy Communion.

I will pray for you, your family, and your priest. God bless.
His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace. — Isaias 9:6

LongfellowDeeds

Quote from: Immacolata on September 25, 2014, 04:00:34 AM
at around the same time my sister (her mother) said, "It's just a symbol." I replied, "No, it is not a symbol. It is the true Body and Blood of Christ." My brother responded, "Yeah, and it tastes just like bread and grape juice."

If it's a symbol, to Hell with it.

-- Flannery O'Connor
I believe in the Resurrection of the Thread.

"The USCCB needs more Cojones and less Mahoneys."
-- C. Austermann

"Vice is a monster of so frightful mien. As to be hated needs but to be seen; Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face, We first endure, then pity, then embrace." -- Alexander Pope

"A woman's preaching is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all." -- Samuel Johnson

"Who am I to budge?" -- Future Better Pope

Vanna Grace

Quote from: Immacolata on September 25, 2014, 04:00:34 AM
Quote from: Vanna Grace on September 23, 2014, 01:53:04 PMAm I being ridiculous by being offended by all of this? I find it incredibly disturbing...all of it.

I wanted to write this before I write any more. In reference to the bolded part: absolutely not. I am as disturbed as you are. He is not Catholic (therefore, not in a state of grace), and is not eligible to receive Holy Communion—the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ. By receiving Holy Communion, he committed sacrilege (which, as Pheo pointed out, was encouraged by the priest).

Now I will continue...

Quote from: Vanna Grace on September 23, 2014, 01:53:04 PMMy BiL is Lutheran. He has been married to my SiL for 20 years. He attends Mass (NO) every Sunday with his wife and children but has never shown any interest in joining the Church. In fact, has stated often that he doesn't want to and will not ever.   Last week, after Mass, the priest told him to start taking communion next Sunday...said he (my BiL) "was more Catholic than most people" so he might as well. All my family thought this seemed great...except me and my husband. I said, "but he isn't Catholic...he doesn't want to be...he has never gone to confession....." Everyone looked at me like I was being ridiculous and said, "the PRIEST said it was ok." As if I was speaking against God by arguing against the priest.

I know how you must have felt. Admittedly, I am one of very few practicing Catholics in my family (I mean this not as detraction, but to give context), and I am often the only one who speaks up against sacrileges like the one you spoke up against. For example:

My niece is currently attending CCD in preparation for her First Holy Communion (which will occur some time in late spring 2015, although, frankly, I feel she should be held back for her own sake—she may not realize the significance of the sacrament). A few Sundays ago, we were sitting in the living room ("we" being myself, my niece, her mother—my sister, and my brother). She asked (paraphrasing), "Is it real that I'm going to be eating [a] body and drinking blood?" I said (again, paraphrasing—I can't exactly remember what I said), "Yes, you will be receiving the real Body and Blood of Christ" at around the same time my sister (her mother) said, "It's just a symbol." I replied, "No, it is not a symbol. It is the true Body and Blood of Christ." My brother responded, "Yeah, and it tastes just like bread and grape juice." Thereafter, the conversation trailed off (after I clarified that it is not "grape juice," but rather wine that is consecrated into the Precious Blood of Christ), and it was settled. Sadly, most of my family does not believe in (or, perhaps, even know of) the Real Presence, although all (to my knowledge) have received their First Holy Communion.

I will pray for you, your family, and your priest. God bless.

I should clarify that my BiL did not take communion. He has zero interest. He only goes to church to support his wife and chidren. The family really want him to do it though but I would be surprised if he ever did.

It does surprise me when Catholics do not understand what communion is. When I was joining the church, I asked a SiL about certain things I was learning (she's a cradle Catholic)..she had no clue. I finally asked her why she never wanted to understand the whys and hows of the mass. She just shrugged and said all that really matters us that you show up.....ummmm ok.  :doh:

Older Salt

That priest must be reported to Ordinary for the sake of souls.

I  wish I had reported the priest that married my wife and I.

In 2004 my Faith was horrendous.

During the Marriage ceremony Father told the whole congregation they could receive.
The majority of which were pagans or nothing.

Father died 2 months later.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Immacolata

Quote from: Vanna Grace on September 25, 2014, 09:29:07 AM
I should clarify that my BiL did not take communion. He has zero interest. He only goes to church to support his wife and chidren. The family really want him to do it though but I would be surprised if he ever did.

I was unaware that he hadn't received—it is good that he didn't. I will, however, continue to pray for him.

Quote from: Vanna Grace on September 25, 2014, 09:29:07 AMIt does surprise me when Catholics do not understand what communion is. When I was joining the church, I asked a SiL about certain things I was learning (she's a cradle Catholic)..she had no clue. I finally asked her why she never wanted to understand the whys and hows of the mass. She just shrugged and said all that really matters us that you show up.....ummmm ok.  :doh:

Again, I know how you feel. It is upsetting to see people declare themselves as Catholics but know little about their faith (in several different aspects, not simply Holy Communion—contraception, abortion, same-sex "marriage," etc.). By knowing little about their faith, they give scandal to those who do not know any better (such as people unfamiliar with Catholicism, new Catholics, or people in the process of converting to Catholicism). I, myself, was one of those people (I identified myself as "Catholic," but I was not practicing, of course—I was a self-proclaimed "diehard liberal").

Quote from: Older Salt on September 25, 2014, 09:48:09 AM
That priest must be reported to Ordinary for the sake of souls.

I  wish I had reported the priest that married my wife and I.

In 2004 my Faith was horrendous.

During the Marriage ceremony Father told the whole congregation they could receive.
The majority of which were pagans or nothing.

Father died 2 months later.

At my great-aunt's funeral (in late August 2013), the priest proclaimed, prior to the consecration, that those who are not practicing Catholics in a state of grace were not eligible to receive Holy Communion. As I said, I am one of very few practicing Catholics in my family, so I was relieved that there would be no sacrilege by non-practicing Catholics (or even non-Catholic) members of my family receiving Holy Communion. However, my mother said she felt "embarrassed," and essentially "judged" (I am paraphrasing, but this is how I understood what she said to me following the funeral).

I will pray for the repose of the priest's soul.
His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace. — Isaias 9:6