Notebooks and journals for the ever-writing Catholic

Started by Jacob, August 28, 2014, 07:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Long ago, before they really acquired their status in hipster culture as a must-have item (and then faced the inevitable backlash), I bought a Moleskine notebook.  Up until this year, I've only used it sparing for writing entries or attempting a story.  At one point, it was lost for quite awhile in the pile of mail, papers, and old magazines I keep next to my desk.

So after I found it, I went to The Web to look for ideas on how to put it to better use.  My search brought to my attention the "hacks" people have devised for their notebooks, including making them the cornerstones of their organizational systems, etc.  (In the end, I was inspired simply to use a ruler to make a monthly planner.)  I also discovered along the way the interesting subculture of pen and paper junkies who are addicted to different types of pen and ink and the paper that can handle both.

Do any of you have a notebook that you use on a regular basis for any reason, whether it be for work or pleasure?  What do you use it for?  How do you use it?  Do you like yours plain or with some kind of funky design on the cover?  :)
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Chestertonian

I used to do a lot of creative writing...got a degree in creative nonfiction.  I was too broke for moleskin... my budget allowed for mead composition books.  everything i write is sh** now
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Dom Passerini

I love my notebooks and journals.  I have tons, from low to high quality.  I keep one for spiritual matters (prayer life, meditations, etc), I have one with retreat notes, one for music composition, one for ideas on certain subjects, one for beer notes etc.  All kinds of wackyness!  Oh, and another one titled "letters to my wife", but it's a private journal, and maybe I'll give it to her on my deathbed or something.
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

J. Austin

I personally don't like Moleskines at all - can't see the appeal of them. I have this one of the Lindau Gospels by Paperblanks. Don't ask me how much it cost :(

I have a few others too. Nightingale make some nice ones.

Dom Passerini

I have a couple like that, but they're from the book of Kells.

J. Austin

Dom Passerini

Quote from: J. Austin on August 29, 2014, 12:24:40 AM
Quote from: Dom Passerini on August 28, 2014, 11:27:59 PM
one for beer notes etc.

Is that for stuff you write when you're drunk?

I don't get drunk.  There's a manly, Catholic art to drinking (OK?), and I do it the right way.  :P

No, the journal is for keeping track of which beers I've tried with notes about what each one is like, and how much (or little) I liked 'em etc.

J. Austin

Lynne

I use www.evernote.com8)

From my PC to my Kindle to my phone, it syncs everywhere...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

I kept a journal from the ages of ten to twenty-two. Picking a new journal was something that I really enjoyed. I seemed to have the most success at Barnes & Nobel- they have really nice, good-quality, unique journals. Looking back on it, I seemed to prefer leather-covered, particularly suede. And they had to be thick, otherwise they weren't worth the trouble it takes to get used to them. My handwriting improved dramatically with all of the writing, and it helped me to get through some really difficult events in my life. I might take it up again.
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Chestertonian on August 28, 2014, 08:57:30 PM
I used to do a lot of creative writing...got a degree in creative nonfiction.  I was too broke for moleskin... my budget allowed for mead composition books.  everything i write is sh** now

Ha, I have a really rusty degree in English... still trying to write that great American sentence.  Yeah... .

I have a number of generic mead type notebooks that I buy for .20 a pop at the back to school sales. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Maximilian

Quote from: Jacob on August 28, 2014, 07:58:29 PM

Long ago, before they really acquired their status in hipster culture as a must-have item (and then faced the inevitable backlash), I bought a Moleskine notebook. 

Wow, so you had a moleskin before they were cool. So you're even more hipster than the hipsters.

ludimagister

I never go anywhere without a black moleskine 'cahier' for notes & quotations from reading, ideas, arguments and book recommendations. The pages at the back I use for more practical stuff. Takes up very little room and pretty robust.

I didn't know they were cool. Shall have to think again.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Maximilian on August 29, 2014, 08:33:43 AM
Quote from: Jacob on August 28, 2014, 07:58:29 PM

Long ago, before they really acquired their status in hipster culture as a must-have item (and then faced the inevitable backlash), I bought a Moleskine notebook. 

Wow, so you had a moleskin before they were cool. So you're even more hipster than the hipsters.

Yes, with a capital "H" ... I'm so non-hip that I don't even know what a Moleskine notebook is. lol.